German Cockroaches In Long Island: What You Need To Know
January 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
There aren’t too many things more detrimental to the reputation of a business than a cockroach sighting, either by a customer or an employee. Word travels fast and before you know it, your once successful operation will start losing patrons just by word of mouth alone. The German cockroach is the most common cockroach species found worldwide and they are no stranger to the Long Island area. Find out how to prevent them from getting into your Long Island home or business and how residential pest control assistance from EM Pest Control is the best way to deal with a German cockroach infestation.
What Is A German Cockroach And Where Do They Like To Live?
These nasty critters prefer warm and humid places and are usually found in both residential and commercial kitchens as well as in bathrooms. However, a German cockroach infestation can occur in any area where people eat or drink. Any dark crack or crevice near a food or water source can harbor these bugs. They are light brown to tan, with two dark stripes on their back, just behind their heads. They are ½ to 5/8 inch long, oval-shaped, and have six legs and can fit through an opening as small as 3/8 inch in width.
German cockroaches will eat anything. Human food, garbage, soap, glue, and feces are among the delicacies they will ingest. They will find their way to new areas by hitching a ride in grocery bags, cardboard boxes, and used appliances like refrigerators, televisions, and microwaves. The main sign of an infestation will be their droppings, which are small and dark and look like pepper. Also of note, the German cockroach has wings but they rarely fly, preferring to run.
Dangers And Problems Caused By The German Cockroach
These particular cockroaches are worse than many other cockroach species for the sheer amount of havoc they can wreak on humans, like causing outbreaks of illness and allergic reactions. Here are some of the threats and why it should be a priority to get rid of German cockroaches:
- They will leave fecal matter and other debris in and around food and food preparation areas.
- They can spread at least 33 different kinds of bacteria, six kinds of parasitic worms, and seven other kinds of human pathogens.
- Among the diseases they can carry are salmonellosis, cholera, dysentery, plague, leprosy, and giardia.
- They can pick up germs on their bodies (especially on their spiny legs) while crawling through sewage and dirty areas and transmit them to food and food surfaces.
- German cockroach allergens can cause allergic reactions and trigger asthma attacks, especially in children.
Prevention Tips To Avoid Infestations
Before having to figure out how to get rid of cockroaches, there are a number of measures you can take to try to prevent that nasty German cockroach nest from happening in the first place:
- Keep counters, sinks, tables, and floors clean and free of clutter. Take care of any dirty dishes, crumbs, and spills right away.
- Store food in airtight containers and avoid leaving any food (and pet food) out in the open.
- Seal any cracks and gaps in walls, floors, and openings.
- Store trash correctly and make sure the lid is secure.
- Scan your child’s backpack when they get home and check groceries before storing them.
- Run water every so often in seldom-used sinks and repair any leaking pipes, as they are attracted to moisture.
If an infestation still occurs despite all these measures, German cockroach extermination will be your next step. Contacting a licensed pest professional to get rid of German cockroaches is the best move and EM Pest Control is the company to call.
Contact EM Pest Control To Take Care Of Your German Cockroach Problem
At EM Pest Control, we provide our customers with the safest, most effective, and highest quality treatments in the Nassau County area. We offer both home pest control and commercial pest control services and use innovative technology and techniques to identify pests, allowing us to track and eliminate the problem at its source.
If you’re interested in getting an inspection to determine the cause and solution of your German cockroach problem, give us a call today.
EM Pest Control Company is a professional, knowledgeable and reliable business. I would highly recommend this company.